Last name:
First name:
Ennever & Enever family history & ancestry. Click here to return to the home page WJ Ennever (1869-1947). From the portrait by J Seymour R.A., exhibited in the Royal Academy.

John William ENNEVER

John William ENNEVER

Male 1869 - 1947  (77 years)

Personal Information    |    View    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name John William ENNEVER 
    Born 21 Oct 1869  63 Bath Street, Gravesend, Kent Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Christened 12 Dec 1869  Gravesend, Kent Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Name: John William Gunever Or Ennever
      Gender: Male
      Baptism/Christening Date: 12 Dec 1869
      Baptism/Christening Place: St. George, Gravesend, Kent, England
      Birth Date:
      Death Date:
      Name Note:
      Father's Name: John William Gunever Or Ennever
      Father's Birthplace:
      Father's Age:
      Mother's Name: Elizabeth
      Mother's Birthplace:
      Mother's Age:
      Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I02211-0
      System Origin: England-EASy
      Source Film Number: 992466
      Reference Number: yr 1856-1873 p 248
    Gender Male 
    Census 1 Apr 1871  63 Bath Street, Gravesend, Kent Find all individuals with events at this location 
    (also known as)
    From 1881 
    John William Hannaway 
    • 1881 census records the family as Hanoway. Progressively from that date many of the family are christened and/or married as Hannaway and recorded as such on censuses.
    Census 1 Apr 1881  'William', Essex Vessels, Essex Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Census 1 Apr 1881  17 Church Row, Limehouse, London Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Recorded as Hanoway.
    Living 12 Oct 1888  62 Parnham Street, Limehouse, Middlesex Find all individuals with events at this location 
    (also known as)
    12 Oct 1888 
    John Enever 
    Occupation 12 Oct 1888 
    General Laborer 
    Living 3 Sep 1890  70 Blount Street, Limehouse, London Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Occupation 3 Sep 1890 
    Waterside Labourer 
    Living 26 Oct 1890  7 Blount Street, Limehouse, London Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Occupation 26 Oct 1890 
    Waterside Labourer 
    Living 2 Apr 1892  5 Kirk's Place, Limehouse, London Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Recorded as John William Hannaway.
    Occupation 2 Apr 1892 
    Waterside Laborer 
    Living 20 Mar 1894  31 Northey Street, Limehouse, London Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Occupation 20 Mar 1894 
    Waterside labourer 
    Misc 10 Sep 1894  Old Bailey, London Find all individuals with events at this location 

      Reference Number: t18940910-732 Offence: Theft > simple larceny Verdict: Not Guilty > other; Guilty > other; Guilty > with recommendation Punishment: No Punishment > sentence respited See original

      732. SAMUEL GEORGE BROWN (23), WALTER TAGG (20), HENRY BROWN (18), GEORGE WILLIAM WHITE (23), and ALFRED BROWN (20) , Stealing four pieces of silver, value £1,200, of Alfred Henry Lancaster and others. Second Count, for feloniously receiving the same.

      MR. C. F. GILL. Prosecuted; MR. MUIR. Defended the Browns and Tagg; MR. SHERWOOD. Defended White, at the request of the COURT.

      THEOPHILUS WILLIAM JOHN HALLETT . I am assistant manager to Messrs. Lock, Lancaster and Co., silver refiners, owners of the premises of Lock's Wharf, Limehouse—on Friday, 27th July, we had a quantity of silver in a safe on the premises; I think altogether there were ten pieces—the safe was in No. 2 Refinery—it was fastened by a Chubb lock, and a padlock on an iron door—it is a brick chamber—there was also a bar and a padlock—this (produced) is a photograph of the interior of the room, and of the fastenings—there is no window—I saw the silver there just as it was thrown in a heap before it is cold—it was thrown in on the Friday evening, the 27th, about five o'clock—I fastened the door myself at 5.30—there is a small iron ledge, which comes up about three inches from the floor, and the door closes against it, so that nothing can get in or out under the door—there is calcined bone-dust used, to prevent the silver adhering to the iron mould—it is used in the refinery, and there was some on the floor of this room—it adheres to the silver—these (produced) are the blocks of silver in the rough as they come out of the mould—the dust is not like whitewash—I put the keys in my pocket at 5.30, and kept them there till eight at night—I then received the keys of the outer door of the refinery from the foreman, also the keys of the door leading from the refinery to the engine-house, and I placed them with the other keys and put them all in the pocket of an old coat in a wardrobe in the inner office—I then locked the wardrobe door and left the key in the door, and locked the office door and took the key away with me in my pocket—it was my practice to leave the keys in the coat until the Monday; the office is a place in the yard, not difficult to get at—next morning, Saturday, the 28th, I arrived at the works at 9.30, and remained about the works; about eleven I was in the office and about the works—I went away then and came back at 2.30, and remained till four, when I finally left; everything to all appearance was all right then—I had locked the door at 11.10, and it remained locked till 2.30—when I left at four I locked the office and placed the key in an envelope, sealed it, and addressed it to Elliott, the foreman, and left it with the watchman, Holtoun at the gate in the Bridge Road—he does not live there; he was there twelve hours—he was day watchman, and
      See original

      was on duty from six in the morning till six at night; bat on this occasion he came on duty at six, and remained, he had orders to do so—the Saturday was a holiday to the employes, and their beanfeast, and there were only about eight men there up till about 2.30 in the afternoon—they would all leave then, but they would leave three men behind, the gate-man and two firemen, to look after the fires; the furnaces are kept going all night—I was not there at all on Sunday; I came back on Monday morning, the 30th, at 9.30—I then received information, and in consequence I went to No. 2 refinery and to the safe—I found four blocks of silver missing; these (produced) are two of them—the four would represent about 7,000 or 8,000 ounces of fine silver, worth about £1,200 sterling—the door of the safe was closed, but not locked—the police were communicated with, and officers came and made inquiries—I examined the door and found both the Chubb's lock and the padlock were broken—I did not notice at the time the way in which they had been broken—they were afterwards seen by an expert—I examined the doors of the refinery to see how access had been obtained; I placed my finger between the door-post and the door, and shot the bolt back; I could then get into the refinery—there is a lock on the top of the door, and a bolt at the bottom; the door was in halves—this is a photograph of the outside door of the refinery; it is like a stable door, in two parts—I did not lock that door when I went away on the Saturday; the foreman did. (A plan was put in, and the witness explained on it the position of the doors)—I do not know any of the Browns—I know "White, as a night watchman employed by Mr. Drew, a lighterman, to watch the craft moored at Lock's wharf—we employ Mr. Drew—he works for other persons as well—White should only pass backwards and forwards to the barges—he had nothing to do with the works, his business would be at the river; he had no business in our yard—when on duty he could come in at Bridge Road and go down to the quay, and he would leave in the same way—there is a slipway on the other side of the coal stores, and from there you can get to the front gate, to Bridge Road, leading out of Limehouse—when I went into the strong room on that morning I saw Sergeant Dicker pick a button off the floor—this(produced) is it—I found the keys where I had left them, in the pocket of an old coat—the office door, which had been secured, was open when I got there—the foreman had opened it—the wardrobe key was still there, as I had left it—I think it was unlocked, but I will not be quite positive—I did not examine it—I found the keys of the Chubb lock and the padlock as I had left them, but not the other keys with them, as the watchman had taken them out to unlock the refinery—it would be the watchman's duty to give them to the foreman—this photograph shows the position of the silver and the missing bare—there were ten pieces altogether, thrown in a heap; this shows the position they would be in the moulds, as they are run out.

      Cross-examined by MR. MUIR. I have been in the habit of keeping the keys in the coat pocket when I have had charge of the works from Saturday to Monday—I have done that for three months preceding the robbery, when the manager was ill—there was a robbery from this refinery about eighteen months ago—the manager, Mr. Borden, then had charge of the keys—I don't know where they were kept then; I suppose in his pocket; I don't know for certain—I could not say that
      See original

      that robbery was effected by means of the keys—I know there was a robbery, but I can't say how it was effected; I was not there at the time—two lads, Davy and Boyne, were employed in the office besides me, and also young Mr. Lancaster, one of the firm—there is only one office, but there is a partition from the front to the back—none of those persons would know where the keys were kept, not even young Mr. Lancaster; the two foremen would know, William Howe and Phillip Elliott—Elliott was the one with whom I left the sealed envelope; it was sealed with the firm's seal, in wax—I did not examine the office door on the Monday; nor did anyone that I am aware of—I could not say who arrived first on the Monday morning—I was there all night on Monday; the office was open all night—I believe it was locked on Tuesday evening; it was my habit to do it—I could not swear that I did—I have locked it many times since—I did not find anything wrong with the lock or any damage to the door—the outer gates are eight or nine feet high; a person could climb over—they are secured by padlock on the inside—the place is never left; a watchman is always supposed to be on the premises—there is a small wicket which is always locked from the outside—from the wicket a person could reach the padlock and undo the gates; there are always furnacemen there—a person on the outside could get over from the water side by climbing the fence—there is a heap of coals on each side of the fence, which they could get over into the works; they would then have to get into the office—as far as I know they must have got in with a key—there is only that one key which I left sealed in the envelope; with that key they could get into the lower door of the refinery; that is the door which could be opened with the finger; the bolt of that door is visible from the outside—then they would have to get into the strong room—I think the person must have known the place—there was one unlocked door between the engine-house and the refinery—it was reported to me that that door was unlocked; it was found open, and the padlock on the ground; that was the one close by the safe—it was Howe's duty to lock that door; the key was not left in the padlock; that door would give access to the strong room, but it was locked inside—Howe had possession of that key; there were two keys to that padlock; the other key would be on the same bunch as the key of the safe, in the old coat pocket—there is a sliding door which leads from the engine-room into the works; that was left open; that engine-room adjoins No. 2 refinery—there are no furnaces in that room; they were not going; they were idle—that door was left open for the men who were repairing, going in for their tools; there would be no one there that night—no unnecessary doors were opened—I think the robbery was effected by someone acquainted with the premises—I do not know any of the Browns or Tagg—about 90 or 100 men are employed on the works; I daresay fifty or sixty of them would know the situation of the silver in this room; it may be more—from what I saw of the premises on the Saturday I think they were safe then—Holtom was the watchman on duty at four on the Saturday afternoon; the man to whom I gave the envelope—he would go off duty at six in the evening; he would be relieved by Bamford, the night watchman, but he was not on duty that night—Holtom was ordered to be there all night—when he came off duty I gave him instructions to remain, as
      See original

      Bamford was away on holiday till six on Sunday evening, when he would relieve Holtom—the two furnacemen would be there after four on Saturday, and they would be relieved by two others at six on Sunday evening—I do not remember asking Holtom for any explanation about the key of the office—he was not called as a witness before the Magistrate.

      Cross-examined by MR. SHERWOOD. I know White as a watchman passing through the works for the past six or seven months—he was not employed by us, but by Mr. Drew—he moors the craft at our wharf for our goods, and for others; he is in a responsible position—he has to watch the craft moored there; that is all I know—he usually arrived at the wharf about two on Saturday, and usually remained there till Monday—he would have a cabin—after the discovery our inquiry went upon the footing that the entry was made by breaking the locks—the expert was called in, I think, on the Monday—I think I heard on the Monday that he was of opinion that keys had been used; I heard it from himself on the Tuesday, and his opinion was taken—until the expert came we thought that the doors had been smashed open—I considered that the keys were in a place of safety, because no one but the two foremen and myself knew where they were kept—I don't remember questioning Howe and Elliott with reference to the keys—the first thing I did was to inquire of Elliott whether he had received the key of the office in the sealed envelope; he said he had—I did not ask Howe for any explanation—I asked the men to account for themselves and they did; they gave me satisfactory answers—Holtom did not know where the keys were—the sealing of the key was not a regular proceeding, it was exceptional—I don't remember doing it before; I had placed it in an envelope, but not sealed it, only with gum; that is, when I have not handed it to the foreman myself—I sealed it on this occasion because I had to leave it with the watchman overnight, and the foreman would not be there till eight on the Sunday morning—in the meantime the envelope would remain in Holtom's custody.

      By the COURT. The beanfeast made a longer interval between the regular work—I daresay the key had been passed in that way to a watchman eighteen or twenty times—there was no concealment about it—it had happened several times in the case of both watchmen and both foremen—the watchman would know that the office key was in the envelope—I don't know that he would have the opportunity of seeing to what use the foreman put it.

      By MR. SHERWOOD. White would have to go through the yard to his post—he would not have to go to the refinery at all, and I never saw him there—if he had been found loitering about there he would have been sent about his business; at least, I should have done so—I have never seen a button like this before—I should not say it was a common button—I daresay it is a cheap one—I do not know anything about White's pay—I know now where he lives, I did not before—he had this coat on when I found him at his work on the Monday evening—I suppose it is a common coat, one that a watchman would wear when at work—there were two buttons missing—I have occasionally gone down to his place when he was on duty—I have had to give him orders—I always found him prompt, a good watchman, always on duty.
      See original

      Re-examined. When the police came on the Monday morning, they made inquiries and took statements from the different persons, and from that time the matter was placed in their hands, and they conducted the inquiry—I have seen White about the premises from time to time, when on duty in the evening.

      WILLIAM HOLTOM . I am employed as gate watchman at Messrs. Lock and Lancaster's—my duty was to stay at the gate—on Saturday night, 28th July, I was there—I left about 7.45 p.m., and went home—I returned at 8.30—after that I did not go away from the gate at any time, but stayed there all night—there is an office there for me—I saw Larkin and Woodcock, firemen, that night—my wife brought me some beer during that night; I cannot say the time—no one else brought me beer—I saw White on that Saturday night at the gate—I do not know who let him in—he brought me some beer; he did not have any himself—I was in my box all Saturday night and all Sunday and Sunday night, about the works; I was not off the premises—I don't remember anyone coming for White on the Saturday night—on Saturday afternoon Mr. Hallett gave me an envelope with a key in it; I locked it in a box in my office, and put the key of the box in my pocket, and on the Sunday morning I gave the envelope to Mr. Elliott, sealed and in the same state as I had received it from Mr. Hallett—during the time I was at the gate I did not see anyone pass through carrying anything—the gate was locked—I left Larkin in charge of the gate on the Saturday night for about three-quarters of an hour from 7.45, when I went home—I saw or heard nothing on the Saturday night that attracted my attention.

      Cross-examined by MR. MUIR. I gave the envelope to Mr. Elliott about nine a.m. on Sunday—the seal was then unbroken—I do not know any of the Browns or Tagg—I know the refinery nearest the office, and where the furnaces are—if I was near the furnaces I could hear any noise like smashing up a lock with a crowbar or hammer quite plainly—I was at the front entrance gate; I have a sort of box close by the gate—that is rather nearer the refinery than the furnaces are, and I could hear more plainly there any smashing-up of iron—I did not hear it—I was awake all night—I did not sleep at all, neither Saturday night nor Sunday morning—I was perfectly sober—my hearing is quite perfect, I think.

      Cross-examined by MR. SHERWOOD. I cannot say whether White brought me beer before or after I had been home to supper—as a rule he went out every night to his supper—he went at all times; there was no pet time for him to go out—it was in the usual course of things for him to go out about the same time to his meals—I did not notice how long he was away; there was nothing to strike my attention—he went in and out alone in the usual way—I did not see him with anybody near the gate—I asked him to bring in some beer; he did not take a can with him—he was away about half an hour perhaps; that was not an extra long time—I cannot say how far he lived away—he was scarcely ever off the premises, as he was supposed to be about there within call—I exchanged duties with Bamford on this night—I did his spell as well as my own—I relieved him, and owing to our arrangement I remained on duty till six o'clock on Sunday night instead of coming off at six on Saturday night—doing thirty-six hours from Saturday morning till Sunday night is not the usual arrangement—I do not think it ever happened
      See original

      before; but it was the beanfeast time, and I did not go to the beanfeast, and I did it to oblige Bamford, who did not go to the beanfeast, but elsewhere—as far as I know, it was done that ho might take a holiday—no foreman was there on the Saturday night—it was a usual thing for me to leave a fireman watching for me while I was away—I had instructions to leave a man on the gate while I went to supper—that was the only time I went off the premises—with the exception of three-quarters of an hour I was there the whole time, and I never went to sleep, and nothing attracted my attention, and I heard no noise—when I went away for the three-quarters of an hour I left Larkin to look after the gate—so far as I know he kept my post while I was away—I did not leave my post vacant and go away for any distance at any other time; not for a moment—at twelve o'clock I was there on duty—about midnight White came to me from the wharf for a drink of water in the ordinary kind of way—he often came and paid me visits and had little chats—he had no conversation with me then as to the noise of the works—fitters were repairing something in the boiler-house that Saturday night—two of De Ritter's fitters came at nine p.m. on the Saturday—I let them in after I came back from supper, and they were there all night—I let them out about nine next morning; they had finished then, they told me—when White came to me at midnight, he came alone in the ordinary way from the wharf—we had no conversation about the men at work on the boilers—I could hear them hammering the boilers—that noise continued throughout the night—it did not make much noise, but I could hear it—I had an ordinary chat with him; he was there half an hour, perhaps—it was unusual; I never had anything to say to him as a rule—I have talked to him before for twenty minutes or half an hour, but it was rather a long conversation on this occasion as the men had gone to their beanfeast—I did not hear any noise while he was talking to me at that time; the fitters were at work at the time.

      Re-examined. As a rule, I had nothing to say to White; he passed in and out, and I never had anything to say to any of them—I paid for the beer he got me on this night, and he also gave me some beer which I did not pay for—I did go away at eleven o'clock—I went as far as Garvel Street, West India Road—I went home with my wife—I live at Penny Fields—I went away from the gate at eleven p.m. with my wife, as she was not well—she brought me some ale—I was away ten or fifteen minutes—I don't know if two firemen got in while I was away—I did not let them in.

      GEORGE THOMAS LARKIN . I am a furnaceman in Lock and Lancaster's employment—on Saturday night, 28th July, I went on duty a little after six—I found Woodcock on the works—I left the premises about 11.30 that night with Woodcock—we went to the corner of the public-house but did not go in—we came back to the works about 11.40—we knocked to be let in, but got no answer—after waiting about two minutes, or a little longer, we kicked with our feet, and then I climbed over the gate—there was no one in the watchbox—I opened the gate, and let Woodcock in—the gate has a little gate inside it which opens with a spring—I remember De Ritter's men working at the boilers—I let in a stranger—I have seen him this morning, he is Ennever—I let him in about eight, when I was in charge of the gate, after Holtoun had gone to supper—I had no idea
      See original

      who Ennever was then—I am sure he is the man I let in—he asked to see White—shortly after Holtoun came and relieved me—after I climbed over the gate at eleven, and let Woodcock in, I went towards the works to get my supper, and I heard someone knock at the gate—I did not see Woodcock open the gate—I and Woodcock left the works at six next morning—Woodcock was with me during the night—at six next morning, when we left, the other shift came on—Holtoun was still at the gate then.

      NEHEMIAH WOODCOCK . I am a furnaceman, employed by Lock and Lancaster—on this Saturday evening I was there with Larkin—about 11.15 p.m. I heard the noise of the people coming back from the beanfeast and came out of the premises; Larkin came out just before me—we came back together, and Larkin got over the gate (as the watchman was somewhere outside) and let me in—after that I heard the watchman knocking at the gate and let him in—I was in Larkin's company all that fright, and left with him next morning at six.

      PHILIP ELLIOTT . I am a foreman in Lock and Lancaster's employ—on 28th July, between 7.30 and eight a.m. the doors of No. 2 refinery were all right—I was only there for a few minutes that day—on that Saturday another foreman (Howe) went to Clacton, and did not come back till Monday—he had leave—I returned between eight and nine a.m. on Sunday—I had no occasion to go into No. 2 refinery—I passed the doors and noticed nothing—I came on duty at midnight on Sunday—the fitters had finished, and men were cleaning the boilers—I went almost all over the place—I got the office key on Sunday morning in an envelope, pealed up, from the gate—the office door was all right on the Sunday morning, and so were the outside doors of the strong room, as far as I could see; I put my hand against them to see they were all safe—I had no occasion to go into the refinery till about two a.m. on Monday morning—I then noticed the middle door leading into the engine-house from the refinery was open—I tried the padlock on the strong room and found it broken, it came away into my hands; it had just been hung into the snag again—I went to the office and got the safe key and other keys; they were where I expected to find them, in a coat pocket, hung up in the office—I found the safe key would not go into the lock—I pulled the strong room door and found it came open—looking into the strong room I missed four blocks of silver like the two produced—the door of the strong room is iron—I saw no marks on that door, apart from the lock—the furnacemen who were working on the Saturday night would be close against No. 1 refinery, a considerable distance from No. 2—the men who worked at the boilers were at the other end; they would have no access to the refinery.

      Cross-examined by MR. MUIR. When I received the key in the envelope between 8.30 and nine on the Sunday morning I looked at the envelope; the seal and envelope seemed to be all right—I took the key out then—I kept the key till I went to the refinery at two a.m. on Monday—on two or three previous occasions I had had the key handed to me in an envelope in that way—I at once went into the office on receiving the key—the watchman's box is almost directly opposite the office door—I have had occasion to go to the refinery, and use the keys at night time—we always keep a little gas alight in the office—you go up three or four steps to the office
      See original

      which is on the ground floor—there are no curtains to the window, and if anyone looked through the window they could see me go to the cupboard where the keys of the safe were—if the watchman, whose box overlooks the office, were looking he would have the opportunity of seeing me go and get the keys of the safe—there are shutters half way up the window, but a person could look over the shutters—on receiving the keys on the Sunday morning I went to the office and took the keys from the coat in the wardrobe.

      Cross-examined by MR. SHERWOOD. I should think each block of silver would weigh 1 1/4 cwt. or a little more—four of the ten were taken—they were carried into the strong room hot and dropped on the floor anyhow—the wooden shutters to the office window only go half way up the window—anyone standing on the steps and looking over the shutters would be able to see what I was doing in the office, and see me going to the wardrobe and taking out the keys—it was broad daylight when I got the keys—I went back and put the keys back in the same place within half an hour—at night the works are lit by a good gas light—I did not get the keys to see if the place was safe; I went to look at one of the fires in the refinery—I did not pay periodical visits to the strong room during the night—having found out that something was wrong, I looked a second time and counted to see what was missing—I was two or three minutes at the strong room, and soon found out that something was missing—I had a light from the engine-house—I locked the place up and reported the loss—I went home a little after six, and then came back about the time I thought the manager would be there—when I found at two a.m. on Monday that the safe had been entered, I told my fellow foreman to let the managers know as soon as they came; and when I came back the managers were there before me—I do not recollect seeing White on Sunday during the daytime—he may have assisted me once or twice on Sunday morning.

      T. W. J. HALLETT. Re-examined). I gave the key to Holtoun in one of the ordinary office envelopes, sealed with the firm's seal and wax—the envelopes and seal were in the office, not locked up—I addressed the envelope to Mr. Elliott—anyone having the office key could get into the office and reseal the envelope, but the foreman would understand if the direction were in any other writing.

      PHILIP ELLIOTT . Re-called). The envelope in which I got the key was addressed to me in Hallett's writing, so far as I could say, and the seal was all right.

      T. W. J. HALLETT. Re-examined). The manager, Mr. Borden, lives at the office—he was away on a holiday at the time—I believe a maid-servant and a relative of Mr. Borden were there—the office window was fastened by an ordinary catch.

      GEORGE COWLEY . I am a stoker in the employ of Lock and Lancaster—on Sunday morning, 29th July, I was working there—at eleven p.m. I went into the engine-room which adjoins No. 2 refinery, and noticed this padlock on the ground, five or six inches from the door-post—it is a padlock which ought to have been on the refinery door—the door of the refinery was open a few inches—I did not suspect anything at the moment—I picked up the padlock, and put it in the staple—Mr. Elliott afterwards spoke to me.
      See original

      JOHN GIBBONS . I live at Bow, and am a locksmith employed by Messrs. Chubb—I have examined this lock which was on the strong room—it is a Chubb's latch-lock, and is usually used for a street-door; it is not fit for an iron door, and a great blunder was made by the person who fixed it on the door—it is a five lever—we have a different class of lock for an iron door—the lock is very much broken, I should say with a hammer and chisel—I think it must have been opened with this key, and then afterwards broken with hammer and chisel—to break a lock, to the extent this was broken, in the door first would have left considerable marks on the door—that would be the case if it was an iron door—the damage must have been done after the door was opened—I saw a short jemmy found there—I think the lock first had a blow with a hammer; there are marks of a hammer on the bolt-head, and again on the far end of the lock, then the jemmy would be used—the lock was still on the door when I saw it—I was shown a piece of the lock at the Police-court—these two padlocks are very common ones—a skeleton key would fit this one; the other is a lever and could not be opened by a skeleton key—the key to one of Chubb's locks will not fit any other; with ordinary lever locks the same key may fit other locks.

      Cross-examined by MR. MUIR. Mr. Hallett showed me a padlock in the refinery, on the strong-room door at Messrs. Lock and Lancaster's, which, in my opinion, had been opened by a key, and not forced open—that padlock was securing the doors then; although the main lock was broken, the padlock was still in use.

      Cross-examined by MR. SHERWOOD. A padlock was in use; the door was closed, but could not be fastened.

      JOHN WILLIAM ENNEVER . I live at 31, Northey Street, Limehouse, and am a bargeman—White is a friend of mine—we worked together for Mr. Drew, a lighterman—on 28th July, about 8.30 p.m., I went to look for White at Lock and Lancaster's premises, as I had certain written orders for him from our employer for work for the same evening—I knocked at the gate from the Bridge Road for about a quarter of an hour, and then Lark in let me in—I found the gateman was not there—I went clown the road inside, and turned off, and went over the coals, and got down to the wharf—I called for White three or four times, and looked for him on the barges, but could not find him—I returned towards the gate, and when I got near the gate, I saw White about five yards from the gate—he had what appeared to be blotches of whitewash on his clothes; on the front and back, too—I gave him the written orders, and went out of the works with him—there was then no one at the gate—that would be about nine—we shut the gate behind us—we went to the West India Dock Bridge, and I left him going over the bridge to get down on to his barge—I said nothing to him, nor he to me, about the marks on his coat.

      Cross-examined by MR. SHERWOOD. Mr. Drew does a good deal of business—White would have to guard and be responsible for very valuable property at times—that night he had about fourteen barges there loaded with silver lead; I had seen them—I was in and out the barges, when he was on duty there—I have on several occasions to go with written orders for him, at all hours—I should say he has been with Mr. Drew three or four years—he is a married man with three children
      See original

      —he lives at 43, Park Street, Limehouse—I had not been before that evening with orders—I am a lighterman's labourer—I have been employed by Mr. Drew just on four years—I met White just inside the gate—I was with him about five minutes—I did not notice his coat particularly—I was not struck by the marks—some of the barges were whitewashed, and you get marks of it on your coat, because you chuck your coat anywhere when you have work to do—these marks looked like blotches of white-wash, as if it was wash which had dried on—it was an oldish coat—the marks looked as if they might have been on for three or four days or a week.

      Re-examined. I saw White on the Sunday; he was wearing the same coat; the white marks were on it then—that was the last time I saw him—I saw the patches of white as I walked to him; you could not help seeing them—I did not mention it to the police till the week afterwards.

      By the COURT. It would be part of his duty to go about the barges, and go down and count every barrel, and see that everything was there—Mr. Drew is having all the barges whitewashed now.

      By MR. SHERWOOD. The police came to me and asked me questions, and I made a statement—I was asked if there was white on his coat, and and I told Inspector Hellish about it.

      WILLIAM BAYARD . I am a foreman in the East and West India Dock Company's employ—I have charge of the boat slip adjoining the prosecutors' work—sclose up to the slip are the coal stores, and at the top of the slip are gates leading into the Bridge Road—the gates are fastened by a bar and padlock—on Saturday afternoon, 28th July, the gates were safely locked—there would be no one there on watch on that Saturday night.

      Cross-examined by MR. SHERWOOD. The padlock that was broken was a common one fastened to the bar of the gate, and lock and hasp were broken off—the constable found the gate open.

      JOHN WILLIAM WOOD . London and India Dock Policeman, 137). At one p.m. on Sunday, 29th July, my attention was attracted to the gate leading from the Bridge Road to the slip, and I found the staple had been forced, and the padlock broken—the bar was lying on the ground.

      GEORGE MELLISH . (Inspector, K). On Monday morning, 30th July, this matter was put into my hands, and I made inquiries with regard to it—I was present when the strong room was examined, and saw Sergeant Dicker pick up this button from the floor inside the strong room—we found the lock of the safe broken inside, and a portion of it outside—from that I infer that the lock was broken after the door had been opened; it lay on the strap of the stretcher with which the workmen use to carry the hot blocks of metal; it was lying about three yards from the door—the padlock was also broken—on the Monday morning I took a statement in writing from White, which I produce—I examined all the workmen to find the truth—I said to White, "We are police-officers; I wish to have a statement from you as to your movements on the Saturday and Sunday," and he made this statement, and I think he signed it. (Read: "I started work on Friday, six p.m., watching six of Mr. Drew's barges. All of them were moored to the wharf. Sometimes I sit on the wharf, at others on the craft. At eight p.m. I went through the works, out the gate, home to supper. I returned at 8.45. I then remained on the wharf and
      See original

      the craft till 6.30 a.m., Saturday. I went out with George Goodchild and another lighterman; had a drink at the Union public-house. We all three at once returned. Goodchild and the other man then left by the tug Renown. The man whose name I do not know had come in by the gate. He asked me out to have the drink. When going out of the gate we met Goodchild, and asked him to come back with us. He did so. I then left the gate about 7.10, Saturday morning. There was nothing unusual on the wharf or about the craft on Friday night. I returned to work at 2.30 p.m, Saturday. Met my mate, J. Hawkins. He asked me out to have a drink. We went into the Union; had some ale. We were away about ten minutes. While at the Union we heard the whistle of the Renown blown; hurried back; Hawkins went home. On reaching the wharf I found the Renown had brought in two barges. I moored them. The tug went away, and brought more barges. Shortly after Jack Hannaway brought me my orders to go into the West India Dock to bring out the barge Trowbridge. I did so, bringing her alongside the wharf at nine p.m. I stayed till 10.30 p.m., then left by the gate; went to the Union; had refreshment; returned at 10.50 p.m.; Holtoun let me in. When I left at 10.30 Larkin was at the gate with him; when I returned Holtoun was by himself. When I left about 8.30 p.m. Mrs. Holtoun was in the box talking to him; she had brought him his food. This was the only occasion I saw her on Saturday night. When I returned at 10.50 I went on the craft, and remained there till 12.30 a.m., Sunday. I came up the yard to the water-pipe near the watch-box, I then spoke to Holtoun. I heard a row outside the gate. Neither Holtoun nor myself went outside, but, looking through the pigeon-hole, I saw that there were three persons—two males, one female. One was the man we call Jerry, a labourer in the firm; the other man and his wife. I could not catch what the quarrel was about. The three went in the direction of Millwall. I returned to the craft, remained there till about three a.m., then came up the yard, went up on the stage, and spoke to both Larkin and Woodcock. We were speaking about them having their work well forward. I stayed with them about forty minutes on and off. I then went back to the craft, pumped the barges out, came back into the yard at 4.55 a.m., spoke to Larkin and Woodcock, went to the gate, spoke to Holtoun, and went out to the coffee-shop in Emmot Street; it was not open. I walked about Three Colt Street till 5.30; then met a lighterman, who told me he had picked up one of Mr. Creed's barges adrift. While we were talking, the man who used to work for the Regent's Canal Company at the little lock came up and joined us. We then went into the coffee-shop; had breakfast They stopped at the coffee-shop. I returned to the yard; was admitted by Holtoun. This was just after six a.m. Larkin and Woodcock were then about to leave the yard. I went to the barges, connected the spelter and bars of lead, came back to the gate, met Speed coming in, returned to the furnaces with Speed, walked round the yard, and about 8.30 a.m. Mr. Elliott and Mr. Tyler came in and Webb. I assisted them to lift the test into the furnace. This brought us on to nine a.m., Sunday. I then left the yard. Holtoun was still at the gate. I went to the Burdett Road, and returned to the yard at 10.45 a.m. I passed through the gate. Holtoun was at the gate. I stopped in the works and the craft till 8.50 p.m., Sunday; left for ten minutes, went to City Arms, had a drink,
      See original

      returned to the premises, and stayed till 7 a.m., Monday. I left the gates. Holtoun was then on duty. I heard no unusual noise on any night. Any noise can be easily heard. My wife called and kicked at the gate about 11.30 p.m., Saturday. This could be easily heard. De Hitter's men were working all night in the boiler-house Saturday night. During my employment at the firm I have not at any time been in this first refinery room, except on one occasion about five or six weeks ago. This was when I assisted Elliott, Bamford, Webb, and Tyler. I don't know where the safe is. I do not know where the silver is kept.—(Signed) GEORGE WILLIAM WHITE.")—from the 30th July I was making inquiries with reference to this robbery, assisted by other members of the force—at the time White made this statement I asked him to take his coat off; he did so, and I have it here—I saw that two buttons were off the coat—I asked him to leave the room, while I and Mr. Hallett examined it—when he was afterwards arrested, on 15th August, I saw that three buttons were off, and only one left—he was not wearing this coat then; I found it in his house—he was wearing it when the statement was made, and it was returned to him without comment—I did not tell him that a button was found in the refinery—on Sunday morning, 5th August, I called at his house and said to him, "I have called respecting the statement you made on Monday; some of the silver has been traced and recovered; you will now be detained, pending inquiries"—he made no reply—he was not charged at that time—I took him to the Police-station—I there examined the coat, and I said, "White, when I took your examination on Monday there were two buttons on it, there is only one now"—he said, "Yes, one came off yesterday"—I said, "When we examined the safe on Monday we found a button inside, and on comparing it with your coat, we found it matched"—he said, "You know there are more buttons than one, sir"—that was all he said—when I first saw the coat, on 30th July, I did not notice any marks of white upon it, nor on his arrest—he was charged about a quarter to seven on that night, with Henry Brown and Tagg, who had been previously arrested and detained in the waiting-room—Henry Brown sent me a message—I went to him—he said he wished to show me where some of the silver was buried, and to make a statement—I took him to 28, Salter Street, Limehouse—that would be between 500 or 600 yards from the prosecutors' premises—it is a dwelling-house in the occupation of the father of the Browns, a builder—adjoining the dwelling-house there is a railway arch, used as a workshop, leased with the house, and forming part of it—the soils live in the house and the father lives somewhere else—going to the house with Henry Brown we passed through it into the railway arch, and he pointed out a place to me; some police officers were already there—on digging at the place pointed out one of these blocks of silver was taken out; it was in about the centre of the arch—one piece had been already found in the same arch, and was then at the Police-station—on finding the second piece I went back with Henry Brown to the Police-station, and he then made a statement which I took down, and he signed it—I witnessed it—this is it. (Read: "The statement that I now make is a voluntary one. My name is Henry Richard Brown. I live at 28, Salter Street, Lime-house. I also work there for my father. About ten a.m. on Sunday, 29th July, 1894, Walter Tagg and I were standing at door of my father's
      See original

      workshop; the door is in South Street. Two labouring looking men came up pulling a costermonger's barrow. The tallest tapped me on the shoulder, and said, 'Hi, cock, do you mind putting this under the ground in the shop for a few days, and we will call for it some day next week.' I said, 'What stuff is it?' I lifted a cement sack which was on the barrow, and then saw the two blocks of metal. I said, 'What is this?' he said, 'It is only some lead.' I said, 'It is funny-looking lead.' I felt it, and found that it was too hard for lead. I said, 'It is too brittle for lead.' He said, 'Oh, it is all right, it is only a kind of pewter mixed with it; that's what makes it look so brittle.' Each of the men then carried one of the blocks into the shop, and dropped them on the ground. The tall man then gave me a sovereign, and said, 'Here, cock, take this; give your mate half; we will spare you more next week when we come for it.' I then dug a hole in the ground immediately under the doorway of an inner door, and rolled the block over and over into the hole. Tagg helped me to dig the hole. When I was covering the block over with earth, the tall man said, 'That's not deep enough.' Tagg then went on to the w.c. I then tilted the block out of the hole, and dug it deeper. The hole was then about two feet deep. The tall man said, 'That will do.' I then tilted the block into the hole again, and shovelled the earth over it, and two pieces of stone slabs on top. The man then got some sand that was in the shop; the sand was wet. He got a trowel from the bench, and with it he pressed the sand round the stones, and shook some cement from our bags over the sand and stones, so as to make it set hard, and not look suspicious. He then said, 'Bury this one over in that corner,' pointing to near my father's tool chest. I said, 'No, I won't put it there, it is too near my father's tool chest. If anything is wrong they would blame ray father for it.' The little one said, 'Come to that you can put it inside the chest; there is no harm in it; nobody will come here for it.' I said, 'No, I will put it down here; if you don't like that you can take it away again.' He said, 'Oh, all right, put it there then.' I then dug the second hole nearly in the centre of the shop, and tilted the block into it, covered it over with the earth, and trod it down. The tall man then said, 'Now, mind what I have told you; if you tell anybody, don't you put your foot outside the door no more, because I know you.' He then said to the other man, 'Come on, Jim let us clear away sharp.' He said to me, 'Good morning, cock; shut the door after us.' They then left the shop, and pushed the barrow down the street. Between the time of digging the first hole and the second I went to the Warrior beer-house, Limehouse Causeway. The man we call Pooley was standing at the door. I asked him for change of the sovereign. He gave me silver. I went back, and gave Tagg ten shillings. He said, 'Do you think it is all right?' 'I said,' I don't know what to think shan't tell father.' I have not seen the men since, but I had seen the tall man previously about Lime house Pier. I first heard of the silver being stolen on Thursday, and then thought that what we had buried in the shop was the silver. When I saw the reward bills on Saturday, I said to Tagg, 'That's right enough, that's them what we have got under there,' speaking of the two blocks. Tagg then said, 'I'll have nothing to do with it.' The police came at 3.30 a.m. this day, and arrested Tagg, my brother-in-law, Andrew Street, my two brothers, Samuel and Alfred, and myself.
      See original

      Sergeant Lambert told me I was arrested, concerned in stealing the silver. I made no reply. What I have now said is the truth. I have said this to clear my father and brothers, because they know nothing about it. The description of the men is as follows:—First: Age forty to forty-five; height five feet ten inches; complexion, hair, moustache and side whiskers dark; dress, cord trousers and vest, black diagonal cloth coat turning green, P. and O. peak cap broken in two, heavy boots, dirty appearance. Second: Age, twenty-five; height, five feet seven inches; complexion and small moustache, fair; hair, brown; dress, grey trousers, melton coat and vest, heavy boots, black felt hat, respectable appearance. (Signed) H. Brown.")—This was on the Sunday night—he was not alone when he made it—I think other officers were in the room—on the Monday Tagg desired to make a statement—he did so, and I took it down, and produce it. (Read: "The statement that I now make is a voluntary one. My name is Walter Tagg. I have been sleeping at 28, Salter Street, for about one week. On Sunday, 29th July, 1894, about 10 a.m., Henry Brown and myself were standing at the gate of the shop in South Street. Two men came up with a barrow, and said, 'Cock, do you want to earn a sovereign?' We said, 'What for?' The tallest man said, "To hide this away for us.' I said to Henry, 'Shall I dig a hole?' Henry said, 'Yes,' and we both helped to dig a hole under the doorway. We then dug another near the grindstone. I went to the w.c. I could just see the corner of one of the blocks of metal under a sack on the barrow. When I returned from the w.c. I saw that the barrow was empty, and that both holes had been filled in. I saw one of the men give Henry the sovereign. He ran up the Causeway to change it, He came back, and gave me half a sovereign in gold. On leaving the yard they both said, 'We will come back next week for the stuff. Keep it quiet; don't tell anyone; we will give you another sovereign when we come for the stuff.' They then went away. I changed my half-sovereign at the Sports public-house when they opened at one p.m.; Henry and I went in together. We each had half a pint of ale. I have not seen the men since. I had never seen them before. I did not know about the robbery of the silver till I saw the reward bill up in Single's window in Limehouse Causeway. I read the bill, and it then came into my head that the stuff that the men brought to the shed was the silver that had been stolen. I went to 28, Salter Street, saw Henry, told him that I had seen the reward bill about some stolen silver, and that I thought that the stuff we had in the shed was the silver. We never said anything to anybody about it. When the men brought it they told us it was lead. We then thought there was no harm in it. When I was arrested I did not tell the police about it. The description of the men is as follows:—First: Age, about thirty; height, five feet eleven inches; complexion, hair and moustache, dark. I cannot say how he was dressed. He had a dirty appearance. Second: Age, about twenty-six; height, five feet six inches; complexion, hair and slight moustache, fair. I did not notice his dress. He had the appearance of a labourer. I was working nearly all last week as a labourer for Mr. Brown, sen. (Signed) WALTER TAGG. Witness, George Mellish, Inspector)"—On Monday, 6th August, the five prisoners were all charged with stealing and receiving this silver—when it was read over, White said to me, "What about the gateman?
      See original

      Ain't you going to fetch any more in? What business had he in the Railway Tavern at eleven on Saturday night, when the two furnacemen had to get over the gate?"—that was all he said—I saw no button similar to the one found in the safe among the workmen at the prosecutors' premises—the father of the Browns was taken into custody on Sunday morning, the 5th, and was detained for some time in the same waiting-room as the three sons and Tagg—he was afterwards taken before the Magistrate and discharged—there was a formal remand for a week—he was on bail, then the case against him was withdrawn.

      Cross-examined by MR. MUIR. Andrew Street, who married Brown's, daughter, and lived in the same house with Brown and Tagg, was also taken into custody—he was not charged, only detained on Sunday and part of Monday—during the Sunday I believe Brown, the father, and the three sons, and Tagg and Street were all detained in the same room—they were there that night; they had no beds, only chairs and tables—there was nothing against Street, except the fact of his living in this house—I did not arrest him—on the Monday I saw them all together in the waiting-room—they were charged on Monday evening, about seven or eight, I should think—I think it was earlier than a quarter of an hour before midnight—before they were charged Tagg made his statement—Henry Brown made his statement in my official room, to which other persons are not invited except by my wish—none of the other prisoners were present—Tagg made his statement in the same room; no other prisoner was present—I wrote down both statements—I asked them questions in the course of their statements—Henry is about eighteen years old, Alfred and Tagg about twenty, and Samuel twenty-three.

      Continued in 2nd entry.
    Misc 10 Sep 1894  Old Bailey, London Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Continued from earlier entry.

      Cross-examined by MR. SHERWOOD. When in making their statements the prisoners ran on I stopped them, as I wanted it in narrative order—White's statement was a pretty full one, full of details—on the Monday and the following days I took a dozen statements or more—White was arrested on the following Sunday—I had seen him during that interval of a week; the thing was being talked about during that week in that part of the world, and there would be rumours that someone had made a statement, and someone else another statement—I cannot say if it was known that the gateman had been absent from his duty on the Saturday evening—White said he had been when he was charged—White would know it if he had seen him, or if Holtoun had told him—the two furnace-men knew he was away—I called the workmen in separately, and took their statements—I went to the premises at ten a.m. on Monday, and did not leave till I had got all their statements the following morning—when I charged White, the present prisoners and Brown, the father, were under arrest—six people were in the room—White having made a full statement the week previous, said, "Aren't you going to fetch any more in?"—I cannot say if he knew that a good many people had been under suspicion, and that some had been arrested; that was all he said—I did not notice the tone in which he said it; the sarcasm did not irritate me—there is now only one button on his coat—on his waistcoat there are a different kind of button; three buttons are missing—there were two buttons on his coat when I arrested him, and when I gave his coat back to him—the top button had gone by the following Sunday—when I arrested him he was wearing a better coat, which he has on now—it was
      See original

      Sunday and he was not wearing his working clothes—I did not search the employes—I looked round on the Monday, and saw no buttons like this—I gave the sergeant orders to look at them, and they were scrutinised—I did not search their houses—I did not make inquiries at places where men of this class buy their clothes—I cannot say if it is a cheap sort of button; it is made of a composition—the cotton left when a button came off one month ago would not be cleaner than that of a button that came off at another time; if the coat were twelve months old it would not make much difference in the thread—when White's attention was called to it he said he had lost more buttons than one.

      By the COURT. I made inquiries at the Railway Tavern; I have no witness from there—I cannot say if this is a ready-made coat—there are a large number of second-hand clothes shops in that neighbourhood, which is a poor one—from its appearance it is a coat that would be made in the East-end in many thousands, perhaps; I cannot say if they would all have the same kind of buttons—I think it is a French button—all the prisoners gave their statements voluntarily—a reward of £150 was offered altogether; I think £50 was offered for the arrest of the thieves.

      FREDERICK DICKER . (Detective Sergeant, Criminal Investigation Department). I was with Hellish at the premises on the morning of 30th July—when examining the strong room my attention was attracted by this button on the floor, nine or ten inches in, lying on the bone dust—I afterwards examined the coats which the workmen were wearing; I could not find any similar button.

      Cross-examined by MR. SHERWOOD. I was there on Monday, 30th July, from ten a.m. to three or four the following morning—I found the button shortly after ten a.m., on our arrival—I was there with Mellish—it was the first official visit of the police—I believe Mellish arrested White at his house; I was not there.

      GEORGE LAMBERT . (Detective Sergeant, K). On 5th August I went with Inspector Rowbottom to 28, Salter Street, Limehouse, and in a front room on the ground floor I saw Tagg—I said, "I am a police officer; I am going to take you into custody for being concerned with others in stealing four blocks of silver, value £1,200, from Lock and Lancaster's, on 28th July"—he said, "I don't know anything about any silver, and don't know what you are talking about"—he put on his trousers, and attempted to run upstairs; he was stopped by Leach—we went upstairs, and in a back room on the first floor I saw Alfred and Henry Brown—I repeated to them the charge I had made to Tagg—Alfred said, "I don't know anything of what you are speaking about; I have had nothing to do with any silver"—Henry said nothing—they and Street were taken to the station, and detained there—I searched the house and yard with "Leach and Rowbottom—I found nothing—I then searched the wash-house—under the railway arch, and under the doorway of the wash-house leading into the other part of the arch, I found, buried in about sixteen inches of loose earth, under two flagstones, the largest block of silver—I got it out and took it to the station, after searching the other part of the arch—almost immediately before we got into the station, Samuel Brown was brought in by Leonard—I showed him the block of silver, and told him where I had found it, and said he would be charged, with the others, with stealing it—he said, "I don't know
      See original

      anything about that; I never put it there, strike me dead if I did"—I showed it to Alfred; he said, "I have never seen that before; what is it?"—Henry said, "I don't know what that is; you did not put it there, nor did I. I know who did so"—Tagg said nothing—the Browns were detained together in the same room at the station—at seven the same Sunday morning I arrested Brown, the father—about eight o'clock that evening Samuel Brown said to me, "Mr. Lambert, you are not going to detain father, are you?" (He called me behind the table where he was sitting with his father mid brother.) "He had nothing to do with it, and don't know anything about it; he did not know it was there. You know he don't live or sleep there" (referring to Salter Street)—Alfred heard what his brother said, and said, "No, sir, father don't know anything about it; he don't live at Salter Street"—I know he does not—Samuel, Henry, Alfred and Tagg had been locked up together for about sixteen hours before Samuel and Alfred made that statement about their father at eight o'clock, and they had plenty of opportunity of talking to Tagg and Henry—next day, the 6th, they were all charged—on 17th August Samuel Brown sent for me; he was on bail, and I went to his house—he said, "Do you think I will get put away? I will tell you about it if you could get my brothers out of it, and me, too, but I am afraid they would get put away for a long time. I shall not get convicted, but if I look like it I will come the whole lot."

      Cross-examined by MR. MUIR. I arrested the Browns at three a.m. on Sunday, 5th August—I did not find the second block.

      STEPHEN LEACH . Sergeant K). I was present, and saw Tagg arrested.

      PATRICK LEONARD . (4 K R). I arrested Samuel George Brown on 5th August—he said he knew nothing about it, and that he could account for his time.

      MR. MUIR. stated that, he should not attempt to defend Henry Brown and Tagg on the charge of receiving, after the statements they had made. Upon an intimation from the COMMON SERJEANT, MR. GILL. id not feel justified in asking the Jury to convict Alfred and George Brown.

      CHARLES ORPWOOD . (Police Sergeant, K). I prepared the plan produced, showing the whole of the premises; the refinery, the engine-room, and the strong room—it is correct, and drawn to scale.

      GEORGE MELLISH . Re-called). I produce White's waistcoat; I can't say whether it is the one he was wearing—I got it from his house when I arrested him—it has a different button from the coat; it is of the same material as the coat—the coat is ordinary pilot cloth—there are three buttons off, two of one sort and one of another; the two are rather of a noticeable sort—I produce the reward bill offering £150 for information as to the thieves or the receivers.

      G. T. LARKIN. Re-called). About a quarter to eight I was at the fire—Holtom came and asked me to take his place at the gate, and I did so till something about half-past eight; I don't think it was for so long as a quarter to nine—Ennever says he knocked for a quarter of an hour; that is not so, he might knock; it was barely a knock—he was not there one minute—Woodcock was attending to the fires at that time—I left him to do the furnace work; I don't believe I was away a quarter of an hour; when I returned I could not get in.

      NEHEMIAH WOODCOCK . Re-called). During the time Larkin was taking
      See original

      charge of the gate I remained looking after the furnace; I was there when he went away and when he returned.

      J. W. ENNEVER. Re-called). I got there about a quarter past eight, it was quite light then—I knocked at the gate a quarter of an hour, kicking with my boot—I got in about a quarter to nine, it was then getting dusk—I met White when I came back; he was on the premises, about five yards from the gate, inside.

      ALFRED and SAMUEL GEORGE BROWN— NOT GUILTY ; WHITE— GUILTY. of stealing. TAGG and HENRY BROWN— GUILTY of receiving . Strongly recommended to mercy on account of their youth.— Judgment respited.

      Courtesy of
    Occupation 1901 
    Waterside Labourer 
    Census 1 Apr 1901  23 Park Street, Poplar, London Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • 1881 census records the parents' family as Hanoway. Progressively from that date many of the family are christened and/or married as Hannaway and recorded as such on censuses. 1901 census records this family as Hannaway, although the eldest child (Elizabeth Blanche) is christened as Ennever, the other 9 are christened as Hannaway.
    Living 20 May 1902  23 Park Street, Poplar, London Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Occupation 20 May 1902 
    General Labourer 
    Occupation 1911 
    Labourer (Dock) 
    Census 1 Apr 1911  2 Phoebe Court, Poplar, London Find all individuals with events at this location 
    John William Ennever & family (known as John William Hannaway)
    John William Ennever & family (known as John William Hannaway)
    1911 census
    Living 18 Nov 1911  55 Garford Street, Poplar, London Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Occupation 18 Nov 1911 
    General Labourer 
    Occupation 30 Mar 1913 
    Occupation 21 Nov 1914 
    Dock Labourer 
    Occupation 2 Jun 1917 
    General Labourer 
    Living 1918  18 Sussex Street, Poplar, London Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Hannaway family
    Hannaway family
    London, England, Electoral Registers
    Occupation 4 Feb 1922 
    Drydock Labourer 
    Living 1923  18 Sussex Street, Poplar, London Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Hannaway family
    Hannaway family
    London, England, Electoral Registers
    Occupation 5 Mar 1923 
    General Labourer 
    Occupation 21 Mar 1941 
    Dock Labourer 
    Probate (Grant of) 5 Apr 1944  Llandudno, Caernarfonshire, Wales Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Granted probate on the estate of his wife 
    Ellen Hannaway
    Ellen Hannaway
    National Probate Calendar
    Occupation 5 Apr 1944 
    Dry dock labourer 
    Died 1947  Poplar District, London Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Not proved.
    Person ID I168  1. Essex Ennevers
    Last Modified 18 Aug 2013 

    Father John William ENNEVER,   Born:  6 May 1832, Chadwell, Essex Find all individuals with events at this location,   Died:  10 Jan 1883, At sea Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 50 years) 
    Mother Elizabeth HARRIS,   Born:  Abt Jan 1841, Bobbing, Kent Find all individuals with events at this location,   Died:  Yes, date unknown 
    Married 19 Feb 1866  Parish Church, Chatham, Kent Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family histories
    Ennever/Hannaway name change
    Ennever/Hannaway name change
    Details of an unusual family name change.
    Name changes in the Ennever and associated families
    Name changes in the Ennever and associated families
    Information about many of the name changes that have occurred.
    Marriages to a closely-related family member
    Marriages to a closely-related family member
    (including to a dead spouse's sibling and a dead sibling's spouse and some bigamous and other illegal marriages)
    Family ID F51  Family Group Sheet

    Family (spouse) Ellen GRADY,   Born:  16 Aug 1870, 20 Dean Street, Shadwell, London Find all individuals with events at this location,   Died:  20 Nov 1943, 10 Highland Street, Poplar, London Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 73 years) 
    Married 26 Oct 1890  Church of Our Lady and St Frederick, Stepney, London Find all individuals with events at this location 
     1. James ENEVER,   Born:  12 Oct 1888, 62 Parnham Street, Limehouse, Middlesex Find all individuals with events at this location,   Died:  1891, Stepney District, London Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 2 years)
     2. Elizabeth Blanche ENNEVER,   Born:  3 Sep 1890, 70 Blount Street, Limehouse, London Find all individuals with events at this location,   Died:  Yes, date unknown
     3. Adelaide Maud HANNAWAY,   Born:  2 Apr 1892, 5 Kirk's Place, Limehouse, London Find all individuals with events at this location,   Died:  1974, Southend-on-Sea District, Essex Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 81 years)
     4. John William HANNAWAY,   Born:  20 Mar 1894, 31 Northey Street, Limehouse, London Find all individuals with events at this location,   Died:  8 Jan 1951, St Andrews Hospital, Bromley-by-Bow, London E3 Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 56 years)
     5. George HANNAWAY,   Born:  1896, Limehouse, London Find all individuals with events at this location,   Died:  1925, Poplar District, London Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 29 years)
     6. Joseph Henry HANNAWAY,   Born:  1898, Limehouse, London Find all individuals with events at this location,   Died:  Nov 1970  (Age 72 years)
     7. Ellen Rosetta HANNAWAY,   Born:  1899/1900, Limehouse, London Find all individuals with events at this location,   Died:  1901, Poplar District, London Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 1 years)
     8. Matilda May HANNAWAY,   Born:  20 May 1902, 23 Park Street, Poplar, London Find all individuals with events at this location,   Died:  Abt Aug 1923, Poplar District, London Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 21 years)
     9. Winifred HANNAWAY,   Born:  13 Aug 1904, Poplar, London Find all individuals with events at this location,   Died:  5 Jan 1991, Harold Wood Hospital, Harold Wood, Havering, Essex Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 86 years)
     10. Ilene HANNAWAY,   Born:  1908, Poplar, London Find all individuals with events at this location,   Died:  Yes, date unknown
     11. Charles William HANNAWAY,   Born:  18 Nov 1911, 55 Garford Street, Poplar, London Find all individuals with events at this location,   Died:  11 Aug 1985, 35 Ling Road, Canning Town, London E. 16 Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 73 years)
     12. Thomas J HANNAWAY,   Born:  1913, Poplar District, London Find all individuals with events at this location,   Died:  Yes, date unknown
    Family histories
    Ennever/Hannaway name change
    Ennever/Hannaway name change
    Details of an unusual family name change.
    Name changes in the Ennever and associated families
    Name changes in the Ennever and associated families
    Information about many of the name changes that have occurred.
    Questions remaining
    Questions remaining
    Some of the mysteries and outstanding questions about the Ennevers and associated families that you may be able to help me with.
    Family ID F50  Family Group Sheet

  • Event Map

    (nb pins may represent approximate locations)
    Link to Google MapsBorn - 21 Oct 1869 - 63 Bath Street, Gravesend, Kent Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsChristened - 12 Dec 1869 - Gravesend, Kent Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsCensus - 1 Apr 1871 - 63 Bath Street, Gravesend, Kent Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsCensus - 1 Apr 1881 - 'William', Essex Vessels, Essex Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsCensus - 1 Apr 1881 - 17 Church Row, Limehouse, London Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsLiving - 12 Oct 1888 - 62 Parnham Street, Limehouse, Middlesex Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsLiving - 3 Sep 1890 - 70 Blount Street, Limehouse, London Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsLiving - 26 Oct 1890 - 7 Blount Street, Limehouse, London Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsMarried - 26 Oct 1890 - Church of Our Lady and St Frederick, Stepney, London Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsLiving - 2 Apr 1892 - 5 Kirk's Place, Limehouse, London Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsLiving - 20 Mar 1894 - 31 Northey Street, Limehouse, London Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsMisc - Witness in case of SAMUEL GEORGE BROWN, WALTER TAGG, HENRY BROWN, GEORGE WILLIAM WHITE, ALFRED BROWN - 10 Sep 1894 - Old Bailey, London Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsMisc - Witness in case of SAMUEL GEORGE BROWN, WALTER TAGG, HENRY BROWN, GEORGE WILLIAM WHITE, ALFRED BROWN - 10 Sep 1894 - Old Bailey, London Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsCensus - 1 Apr 1901 - 23 Park Street, Poplar, London Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsLiving - 20 May 1902 - 23 Park Street, Poplar, London Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsCensus - 1 Apr 1911 - 2 Phoebe Court, Poplar, London Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsLiving - 18 Nov 1911 - 55 Garford Street, Poplar, London Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsLiving - 1918 - 18 Sussex Street, Poplar, London Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsLiving - 1923 - 18 Sussex Street, Poplar, London Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsProbate (Grant of) - Granted probate on the estate of his wife - 5 Apr 1944 - Llandudno, Caernarfonshire, Wales Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsDied - 1947 - Poplar District, London Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Maps 
     = Link to Google Earth 

  • Family histories
    Ennever/Hannaway name change
    Ennever/Hannaway name change
    Details of an unusual family name change.

Copyright © Barry Ennever 2006-2016. All rights reserved. Information provided for personal use only (click here for terms of use/privacy policy).
Site powered by TNG, hosted by TSO.  See home page for site update information.